The Library entrance is on the 6th floor of the Law School. Access to the Library is available through the Law School building at 315 S. Plymouth and also through a walkway on the 6th floor of the CBA building at 321 S. Plymouth. The walkway is open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more detailed descriptions of the Library’s services, holdings, policies and hours, visit our website at http://www.jmls.edu/library.
8:00 am to 11:00 pm Monday - Thursday
8:00 am to 8:00 pm Friday
9:00 am to 8:00 pm Saturday
9:00 am to 10:00 pm Sunday
Reference Desk Hours
9:00 am to 10:00 pm Monday - Thursday
9:00 am to 7:00 pm Friday
9:00 am to 4:00 pm Saturday
Library hours are subject to change during holiday and break periods. Upcoming changes in hours, including closures, are noted on the Library homepage at http://www.jmls.edu/library and announced in advance to CBA members.
To reach the library by phone, call the Law School’s general number (312)427-2737 and press x710 for Circulation or x729 for Reference. The Circulation Desk also has a direct number, (312)987-1413.
Library Access & Privileges
The John Marshall Law Library connects patrons to the world of legal information. The physical Library serves as a commons for patrons to use print items and electronic resources.
1. CBA members must have a JMLS photo i.d. card to use the automatic entrances to the Law School, Library and CBA walkway. Please complete a Library Usage Agreement and pay a one time fee of $10 for the card. The card remains valid for as long as you are a CBA member in good standing. I.d. cards may be purchased on the second floor of the JMLS building. Your JMLS photo i.d. card gives you automatic access to the library during all hours that the Library is open.
2. You must have a JMLS photo i.d. card in order to check out Library materials, which circulate.
3. You can also use your card to make copies and print at the Library.
4. Sharing a JMLS photo i.d. card is a violation of the Law School’s security policy. Please do not lend you card to anyone. There is a $25 replacement fee for lost cards.
5. You may also obtain an i.d. card for your law clerk(s). Please provide the name(s) of your clerks under the authorization portion of the Library Usage Agreement and pay $10 for each clerk’s card. The clerk’s card allows your law clerk to use the Library and also check out materials on your behalf. Clerk’s cards remain valid for 6 months and may be renewed for an additional $10 fee.
6. The Library allows tightly covered drink containers, including plastic bottles and cardboard coffee cups. If you bring food into the Library, please be respectful of fellow patrons.
7. Please set cell phone ringers on silent or vibrate when entering the Library. Talking on a portable telephone is not permitted in the Library. Please leave the Library or go to a stairwell before using such a device.
8. Please leave your books on a book truck (i.e. in the Library stairwell) when you are done using them.
9. You are welcome to use your laptops in the Library. Wireless internet access is also available. Please do not leave laptops or any other valuables unattended. Storage lockers are on 6 next to the Library entrance.
The 6th Floor is the central commons of the Library. On 6, you can find
the reference collection,
basic research materials (including statutes and encyclopedias).
computer terminals and printers
Popular reading section
Academic Success Collection
Practitioner Collection in cluding IICLEs
NAVS Animal Advocacy Collection
The 7th floor contains Library and IT staff offices.
This floor contains law journals and other periodicals. Journals are arranged in alphabetical order.
This floor contains federal, regional and state primary materials and non-law materials.
This floor contains secondary legal materials, including treatises, foreign, international and comparative law materials and the Chinese IP law collection.
Copy machines are available on every floor of the library.
All circulating Library materials may be checked out with a JMLS i.d. at the Circulation Desk on the 6th floor. Most materials, including CD ROMs circulate for three weeks with one possible renewal.
Some materials are on reserve at Circulation. Reserve materials can be checked out for
3-hour increments with one renewal. 3-hour materials cannot be kept overnight.
Fines for overdue materials are:
$1 per hour overdue for 3-hour reserve items,
$1 per day for other items.
You may renew your materials over the phone. Call x710 or direct dial (312)987-1413 to renew.
Web address: http://catalog.jmls.edu You can access the Library’s online catalog from any Internet browser or via terminals throughout the Library.
You can look up materials by keyword or exact author, title, or subject. Once you find the item you want, the record will give you the location (such as 10th Floor) and the call number (such as KF 5050).
The Reference Librarians have dual degrees in law and information science. You may call the Reference Desk at x729.