See list of member dues categories (in PDF).
Dues Schedule and Billing Policy
Schedule of Dues:
The CBA's annual membership period runs June-May. New members joining June-November need to submit full annual dues. New members joining December-March need to submit half the annual dues. New members joining April-May need to submit full annual dues for the coming membership year and will receive April-May of the current year free. **New members wishing to add the current CLEAdvantage Plan during April or May would no longer get those months for free and be required to pay current dues or wait to join the following years plan.
In computing the number of years of admission to practice, a member is deemed to have been admitted to practice on June 1 of the year of his/her first admission in any state. Government and legal aid discounted rates are listed in parenthesis. All members in practice less than ten years are automatically enrolled in our Young Lawyers Section (no extra fee required).
* Members having an office or employed within the
terrority bound by Lake Michigan, Chicago Ave., Halsted St., and
Dues include a $10 subscription to the CBA Record and all committee memberships. Dues are not deductible as charitable contributions but may be as a business expense. Approximately 7% of dues are lobbying costs which are not tax deductible. Dues are non-refundable.
(1) Sustaining Members: Along with their regular membership dues, Sustaining members pay an additional $188 annually to help support special CBA projects.
(2) Government and Legal Aid Lawyer Discount: Dues are discounted 25% for members employed by government or legal aid agencies. Those using home address as billing address must include name of employer on remittance stub to receive discount. Discount does not apply to judges.
(3) Dues Waiver/Reduction: Permanent dues waivers are granted to members who have accumulated 50 years of membership. Temporary dues waivers or reductions may be granted to members who are disabled, serving in the military, unemployed or experiencing financial hardship. Call 312-554-2131 for details or see Dues Hardship Form (in PDF).
(4) Suspension/Termination: Members whose accounts are in arrears over 60 days will receive suspension notices. If payment is not received within 30 days following the suspension notice, membership will be terminated, all privileges will be revoked, and reinstatement policies will apply. This applies to dues and any other outstanding charges.
(5) Cancellation: Members wishing to resign or cancel membership are requested to so indicate in writing stating reason for resignation; if no notice is received, they will be considered dropped for non-payment of dues and subject to reinstatement policies and fees.
(6) Voluntary Contributions: Voluntary contributions help support the important work of The Chicago Bar Foundation in promoting legal aid for the poor, and the Building Fund of the Association. If you choose to contribute to these funds, please indicate the amount in the box provided on your statement and add to your balance due (suggested amounts are $60 for the Chicago Bar Foundation and $20 for the CBA Building Fund).
(7) Dues Auto Pay Plan: Current members can opt use their preferred credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover) to pay dues automatically on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis. Simply choose your payment schedule, provide credit card information and the CBA will send you an email each time your installment is charged to your credit card at no additional cost. Special note: Dues auto pay applies to dues only. CLE Advantage fee, voluntary contributions and monthly CBA charges for seminars, etc. are not included in this plan. Sign Up Now for the Dues Auto Pay Plan.
(8) eStatement: Receive your CBA dues statement and
statements for other Association charges through email instead of hard
copy. Your eStatement will be personalized with a link to our Web site,
making it easier than ever for you to pay Association charges online.
The eStatement program is eco friendly and helps the Association reduce
its consumption of paper, printing, processing and postage
(9) Discrepancies: Discrepancies about dues and any other charges must be brought to the CBA's attention within 30 days of the statement date on which the original charge appeared. To report discrepancies, call CBA Membership Accounting at 312-554-2020.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call
Related FilesMembership Dues Categories