CBA YLS Racial Justice Coalition
The Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Section unequivocally stands against racial discrimination and police brutality. We also reaffirm our commitment to serving as a voice and as an instrument of change in our communities and beyond. In solidarity with everyone who has felt--and continues to feel--the frustrations of ongoing systemic and institutional racism, we establish the CBA YLS Racial Justice Coalition. As attorneys and leaders in the legal profession, we have a duty to unite and use our resources and power to promote unity and progress. Together, we are stronger.
Make Your Voice Heard: Legislative Advocacy for Young Lawyers - September 30
The organized bar has advocacy platforms to effectuate meaningful change. At this program on September 30 from 2:00pm-3:00pm, you will learn about how you can be heard on matters impacting your practice and the broader justice system. The Chicago Bar Association’s legislative program reviews and analyzes over 1000 bills during each session of the Illinois General Assembly, and the advocacy work of The Chicago Bar Foundation is aimed at increasing access to justice. Program speakers will explain how you can get directly involved in the CBA and CBF’s legislative initiatives, or simply stay informed and provide important feedback. You will also learn about advocacy opportunities at the national level in the American Bar Association through its Young Lawyers Division. Click here for more information and to register.
YLS Serving Our Seniors / Racial Justice Coalition Virtual Estate Planning Workshop - October 3 (with mandatory training session on October 1)
The YLS Serving Our Seniors Committee and Racial Justice Coalition are joining forces with the Center for Disability and Elder Law and My Block, My Hood, My City to host a series of virtual estate planning workshops for low-income seniors. The first workshop will take place via Zoom on October 3, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. Volunteer attorneys and law students will draft Powers of Attorney for Healthcare and Property for seniors in need. Training and guidance will be provided by experts from the Center for Disability and Elder Law. No prior estate planning experience is necessary, but all volunteers must attend a mandatory training session on October 1, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. to volunteer. Click here to RSVP for the October 1 training session and click here to register for the October 3 workshop.
Police Reform in Chicago: CPAC or GAPA? (September 8, 2020)
U.S. Senator Dick Durbin: The Justice in Policing Act of 2020 (July 17, 2020)
The CBA YLS Racial Justice Coalition was formed for the purpose of collaborating with leading forces in the Chicagoland legal community to take action against racial injustice in the following ways:
The Coalition will collaborate with other bar associations to identify and facilitate pro bono and community service opportunities that focus on combating racial disparities, addressing the concerns of minority groups, and building a bridge between the legal community and the clients that we serve.
The Coalition will build and maintain relationships with community organizations and local government leaders that seek to promote social justice, uplift historically underprivileged voices, and impact collective action and legislation supporting the eradication of systemic racism.
The Coalition will encourage all bar associations to collaborate with us in providing training, seminars, speaker series, and workshops dedicated to understanding and championing diversity and inclusion throughout our profession and within our communities.
The following bar associations and legal advocacy organizations who have joined the Coalition include:
- Appellate Lawyers Association (ALA)
- Arab American Bar Association of Illinois (AABAR)
- Asian American Bar Association of Greater Chicago (AABA)
- Black Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater Chicago, Inc. (BWLA)
- Catholic Lawyers Guild
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA)
- Chicago Bar Association’s Alliance for Women
- Chicago Bar Association’s Lawyers In the Classroom Program
- Chicago Women in IP (ChiWIP)
- Chinese American Bar Association (CABA)
- Cook County Bar Association
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois (HLAI)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- Illinois Association of Defense Counsel (IDC)
- Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (IL ARDC)
- Illinois State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (ISBA-YLD)
- Illinois State Bar Association Standing Committee on Racial & Ethnic Minorities and the Law
- Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism (2Civility)
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Justinian Society of Lawyers (Justinians)
- Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago (LAGBAC)
- National Lawyers Guild (NLG)
- North Suburban Bar Association (NSBA)
- Serbian Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association (SABA)
- South Suburban Bar Association (SSBA)
- Southwest Bar Association (SWBA)
- UIC John Marshall SBA
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois (WBAI)
- Women’s Criminal Defense Bar Association (WCDBA)
To get involved or with inquiries, please contact email@example.com.