Benefits of Membership
Grow your career and expand your network through CBA Membership
In the day-to-day hustle of serving clients and meeting billable hours, it's easy to forget about yourself...your career...your future. CBA membership can help you expand your network of colleagues, develop business contacts, strengthen your legal skills and enhance your resume. The power of the CBA is its ability to harness the expertise and experiences of its members. Regardless of your practice setting, the CBA can help you serve your clients and yourself through a wide-range of membership services and benefits.
Develop Legal and Business Skills Through Continuing Legal Education
The CBA sponsors over 120 seminars a year that meet minimum continuing legal education requirements in Illinois and many other states. Topics address most practice areas, ethics/professionalism, trial techniques, business skills and law office management and technology. We offer:
- Access to enough free CLE to meet your Illinois MCLE requirements over the course of two years.
- Members receive a 50% discount on CLE over non-members.
- Members are eligible to join the CLEAdvantage Plan for unlimited access to CBA seminars.
- Expert speakers and comprehensive written materials.
- In-person, live Webcast and on-demand video options for attending CLE.
- Members receive a discount on CBA offerings in the West LegalEdcenter.
Networking, Speaking and Leadership Opportunities through Committees
Making new contacts and developing business referrals is critical to growing and maintaining a successful law practice. Through CBA and Young Lawyers Section committees you will:
- Select from over 120 practice area and special committees (see a full list).
- Never pay extra section fees - members do not pay extra to join committees.
- Earn free Illinois MCLE Credit for in-person and live Webcast attendance at committee meetings that feature a substantive topic of law.
- Meet and learn from judges and legal experts.
- Develop robust business and support networks.
- Comment on proposed court rules and legislation.
- Watch on-demand video of past meetings.
Our Young Lawyers Section Helps New Lawyers Succeed
Members practicing less than 10 years are automatically enrolled in the Young Lawyers Section. The YLS is here to help new lawyers realize their full potential through:
- Educational opportunities geared to the new and associate-level attorney.
- Practice area specific committees and special task forces
- Career programming geared to the new and associate-level attorney
- Explore the future of the legal profession through innovative topics and programs
- Pro Bono and volunteer opportunities.
- Social and networking events.
Make Your Next Career Move with Help from the CBA
Members have access to an online career center that features local and national job openings through a resume and job bank. Members can also take advantage our Career Advancement Program which is a multi-faceted initiative that was created to help all experience levels and backgrounds move forward in their careers. Members can take advantage of:
- Online Career Center featuring a free resume and job bank.
- Twice monthly Job Flash email containing current open positions.
- Career Advancement Program featuring free one-on-on career counseling and seminars.
- YLS Careers Committee featuring monthly speakers on topics relating to finding a job, advancing to the next position, and being successful in your current position.
- Career-focused articles and on-demand videos.
Law Practice Management & Technology Solutions
Members can take
advantage of access to a wealth of information on developing a law
practice, managing a law office, and understanding new technologies
through the CBA Law Practice Management & Technology Division.
Member services include:
- Educational opportunities include in-person, live and archived Webcasts and on-demand video (most of which is approved for Illinois professionalism credit).
- Law office and technology consulting starting at $75 an hour (members save over non-members).
- Website reviews and consulting services starting at $150 an hour (members save over non-members).
- In-person, hands-on technology training on legal software, hardware, apps and more.
- Online library of resources for starting and maintaining a solo/small firm practice.
Plus, members also receive the following:
- Subscription to the CBA Record magazine
- Access to savings on malpractice insurance and other types of insurance through CBA Insurance Agency
- Online library of resources
- Savings on legal products and services
- Music and entertainment opportunities through the CBA Symphony Orchestra, Big Band, Chorus and the Bar Show.
- Discounted participation rate for the Lawyer Referral Service
- CBA Newsstand powered by Lexology
- Media production services
- and more!